Sweet Potato and Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This past January marks four years since I swore off fast food from my diet in effort to live a healthier, more wholesome lifestyle. However, I am currently a full time student and also work three separate jobs; so as you could imagine, I am always on the go. Now that fast food is no longer an option for me, I have to put a bit more preparation and planning into my meals throughout the week so I can be sure to consume a decent amount of calories.
I learned early on from my mother, who was always balancing her time with her job as a teacher and a coach as well as her time with my three siblings and me, that convenience is key when it comes to cooking with a busy schedule. Through my own experience I have developed my love for “C&C” (Crockpot and Casserole) meals. If I am not cooking a dish overnight in a crockpot, I am usually throwing random ingredients together to form some sort of casserole. Being the health nut that I am, I have developed and tweaked several different recipes over the past four years to be healthy and tasty. The Sweet Potato and Turkey Sausage Casserole is definitely one of my favorite meals because it not only is extremely delicious, but it is also extremely healthy. The version I cooked for this post is lactose free and made with turkey sausage, but readers can always substitute dairy milk and use other forms of breakfast sausages. Either way, I promise it will be delicious!
1 ½ lbs of breakfast turkey sausage
½ tbls of coconut oil
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
½ large sweet onion, diced
1 cup chives
¼ tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
¼ cup coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
4 cups of power greens (kale, spinach, arugula)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil, add turkey sausage and cook until brown.
- While the turkey sausage is cooking, beat eggs in extra large bowl.
- Shred sweet potatoes and onion in food processor. Mix sweet potatoes, onion, and chives into eggs with seasoning. Add coconut milk and your power greens.
- Grease 9×13 casserole dish with coconut oil.
- Pour egg mixture and stir in the sausage after it has been drained.
- Cook for 45 minutes, and enjoy!